Sunday, November 21, 2010

From Out of Left Field - Movies

I consider Superbad and The Hangover to be overrated. I'll watch them with a friend if he or she whines enough...and offers me boxed takeout. But I probably wouldn't contribute money toward renting either one...or even contribute hard drive memory toward downloading them.


Superbad: It was funny when that guy's ass got hit by the car when he was fumbling with the beer, but beyond that I longed for more payoff.


Hangover: There are so many plot devices and scenarios that the movie could have done without. I just find myself drifting off into my own world, imagining what I would do in their situationa weekend in Vegas. I'd start with something dastardly, like using the brother-in-law character to clean out a few tables, then dropping him off at some arcade and finally getting the real party started. 


The Sweetest Thing, on the other hand is wonderfully random and I always feel satisfied after most of the laughs. And it's not because I engaged in movie-theater-head for the first time when I saw it. Unfortunately, no one seems to share my enthusiasm for this gay-friendly classic. I'm sure one of the main reasons it didn't fare better at the box office is that people don't like seeing pretty girls act like fratboys. I think it's both empowering and hilarious when they don't mind dropping the dainty-lady cliche for the sake of a good laugh.


I also liked Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, which surprised me. But hey, so did Kill Bill...but for very different reasons!

1 comment:

  1. Makes sense, those two movies are the male equivalents of chick flicks. Like Spike Tv or the Ultimate Fighting Championship they appeal to some inane manly thing inside us we can't control.

    -Ricky V.-

    ReplyDelete